Ontario 2012 – R. v. Swartz
- 5 workers fell from the 13th floor of a building.
- The scaffolding on which they were working collapsed under their weight.
- 4 workers died.
- The worker who survived was the only one wearing a safety harness.
- The autopsy revealed that some of the workers had consumed cannabis shortly before the accident.
Verdict rendered in Ontario
- Metron Construction Corp. was fined $200,000 for criminal negligence.
- Company president Joel Swartz was personally sentenced to pay 4 fines of $22,500, one for each of the charges laid.
- Joel Swartz paid a total of $90,000 in fines for breaking Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act.