Ontario 2005 – R. v. Fantini Copy
First decision rendered after Section 217.1 of the Criminal Code came into effect.
- Worker digging a trench is trapped after it collapses.
- Worker dies of his injuries.
- Domenico Fantini, the onsite supervisor, is found guilty under Section 217.1 of the Criminal Code.
- He is charged with criminal negligence causing death.
- He receives 8 other charges under the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
- Fantini pleads guilty to 3 provincial charges.
In exchange for a guilty plea to the provincial charges, the Criminal Code charge is withdrawn by the Crown.