Functions we represent:
- Head of Department (HOD)
- Assistant Head of Department (AHOD)
- Make-up artist
- Assistant Make-up Artist
- Key Special Effects Make-up Artist
- Special Effects Make-up Artist
Classification criteria for the make-up department
Basic, classification and reclassification criteria for all functions of the department:
- Must demonstrate functional bilingualism.
- Must present 2 letters of reference, one of which may be from a Head of Department or Assistant Head of Department at IATSE and the other must be from a make-up head from AQTIS.
- Must have completed the required certifications and training:
- Standard First Aid with CPR/AED (Level C)
- WHMIS 2015
- Criminal liability for occupational health and safety
- Respect, civility and prevention of harassment in the workplace (QUEBEC)
- Have a great interest in taking the “make-up on set” course (COMING UP)
A portfolio containing unretouched photos of the following specificities:
- Beauty make-up.
- Make-up with special effects bases: scars, bruises, tattoo transfers, ageing with greasy shades, slight wounds, cuts, skin scratches, burns and oedema.
- Beard and/or moustache laying.
- Character creation.
- Contemporary tattoo camouflage (before and after).
Head of Department (HOD)
2- Demonstrate 120 days of work experience as makeup manager in character creation on several IATSE productions only.
3- Must demonstrate experience as a Chief Makeup Artist on several Canadian and international productions.
4- Submit 2 letters of recommendation validating his expertise as a make-up manager on several IATSE productions.
Assistant Head of Department
2- Demonstrate 120 days of work experience as a Makeup Artist on at least 3 productions. The detail of the 120 days: A minimum of 80 days of work on IATSE productions and a maximum of 40 days of work as a Department head on productions other than IATSE will be accepted.
3- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from the Head of the IATSE make-up department.
2- Demonstrate 90 days of work experience on a minimum of 2 IATSE or AQTIS productions as a Make-up Assistant.
3- A maximum of 45 days of work as a make-up assistant or make-up artist, accumulated on one or more productions other than IATSE, will be accepted.
Assistant make-up artist
1- Bilingualism an asset
2- Demonstrate 90 days of work experience as Assistant make-up artist on at least 2 IATSE or AQTIS productions.
3- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from a make-up department manager or assistant department manager IATSE or make-up department manager at AQTIS.
Key Special Effects Make-up Artist
2- Demonstrate through your portfolio and previous contracts the following experience:
– Manufacturing and fitting complex prostheses such as bald caps and body moulding.
– Large surface tattooing.
– Extreme ageing.
– Hair implantation.
3- Airbrush control, an asset.
4- Demonstrate 120 days of work experience on a minimum of 5 IATSE or AQTIS productions. For AQTIS credit recognition, the corresponding function is Special Effects Makeup Artist and Prosthetist Makeup Artist combined.
Special Effects Make-up Artist
2- Demonstrate 90 days of work experience on more than 2 IATSE or AQTIS productions. For AQTIS credit recognition, the corresponding function is Special effects make-up assistant and/or Make-up assistant prosthetist.
Demonstrate through your portfolio as well as the titles you have worked the following experience:
– Fitting prostheses of different materials
– Aging under several techniques
– Pigmentary alterations
– Blood continuity
– Expertise in camouflage of large surface tattoos
Approved on December 13th 2018, modified on February 27, 2020.